Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

Of snakes, plants and flowers

I love to take macro pictures of bugs, plants and flowers. As I have only a small camera with a tiny lense, tiny things are all my camera lense could capture well! I usually spend my evenings out at my parent's house herb garden, busily clicking away! 

On the eve of CNY, right before my reunion lunch, I saw a lot of little bugs buzzing around my tangerine plant (I bought this for my dad 4 years ago during CNY too!) which was flowering then. There's a lot of cute little wasp busily pollinating there hence I wanted to capture those wasps in action! As I approached the tangerine plant, I got a rude shock when I discovered a slittery thing! Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a snake!!! It was at least 80 cm long, with small green stripes on its body!.
Here's the snake which was well camouflaged on the tangerine plant! To think about it, perhaps the snake just came by to usher in the year of snake!! Huat arr!! 
I actually called my dad after I saw the snake as he was out doing some grocery shopping that time. The first thing he did after he heard that was to head over to the lottery shop to buy our house address number!! 
LOL!
My dad tried to shoo the snake away but in a flash it managed to slither to the bougainvillea plant. After that, we decided to just ignore the snake hoping it will just leave. We went for our reunion lunch and as soon as I returned to check on it an hour later, true enough, the snake had left and never returned. Theoretically speaking, we suspected the reason the snake came was because of this here. Please see the picture below. Yup, that's two bird eggs. Looked yummy right? LOL!

I captured these two lil' eggs, two weeks before CNY when I returned home. Apparently a bird had decided to build a nest on my dad's flowering potted plant which wasn't very tall, hence we could easily spot the eggs.

When I was back during CNY, the eggs had hatched and this were the two cute little darling nestlings!
They were waiting eagerly to be fed by their mother.
Look how cute they were, luckily the snake did not manage to eat them! However, I have an even more tragic news. Just a day after I took this picture, they were missing the next day when I went to check on them. The nest was somewhat destroyed too!! So what has happened and who's the culprit?
By doing some CSI investigations, we highly suspected that it was the CAT looking at the damage done to the nest!! :( The cat basically just swallowed them whole!! 
Sigh...that's life isn't it? :(
Here's a picture of the poor momma bird, always busy looking for food and watching over her nest.


Other than that, here's some macro shots I took.

 The little wasp helping with the pollination process! Note: I took this picture prior to the snake's visit. I dare not go near this plant for a few days ever since I spotted the snake! LOL!
 Another shot of the wasp busy at work! If you noticed, there were two little bubble thingy on the wasp's leg. Do you know what is that? I am wondering too..
 The tangerine plant flowering and fruiting soon thanks to the wasps!! :)
 The bougainvillea flower
My parent's chinese bamboo plant never fail to flower every spring especially on CNY!!
  A little wasp hive!

                                       Another bougainvillea flower. Aren't they pretty? :)
 My dad's fiery chilli plant

 I have forgotten the name of this flower! Any idea?
 Another unknown flower. Beautiful eh?
 Unknown fruit!
 Little dragon fly :)
 An abandoned shell
A morning glory which was sleeping as I captured this late afternoon.

Don't you just love the nature? :)

I definitely do!

No comments: