Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Famous Mee Goreng Sotong at Bangkok Lane


Last weekend, BS and I decided to do some "Jalan-jalan cari makan". Having read about this famous Mee Goreng Sotong from a fellow blogger, BS and I decided to try it out.
Have you heard of Bangkok Lane? I have not, but I remembered seeing that lane while I was driving along Jalan Kelawei (The road parallel to Gurney Drive) few years back. If you frequent Gurney Plaza, you will know where Jalan Kelawei is. Simply put, it is the road on the "backside" of Gurney Plaza or G Hotel. On this road, you will see that there are many lanes leading towards the cross section of Jalan Kelawei. Armed with a 10 year old Street of Penang map, surprise surprise, we did not get lost but managed to find Bangkok Lane easily. Maybe it's because I just got back from Bangkok? hehe...

Surprisingly, Bangkok Lane is a charming little lane adorned with restored pre-war houses!

Bangkok Lane

Anyway, the shop is located at the rear end of the lane, a corner lot chinese Kopitiam. Besides the Mee mamak, there's a Wantan Mee stall and a stall selling chinese pancake.
As we were there on a weekend, the shop was pretty packed. Besides mee goreng, they have mee rebus as well, but I have yet to try that. With so many patrons to serve but only 1 cook, surprisingly we don't have to wait too long for our food.


Here's a picture of how the Mee goreng sotong looks like.

Mee goreng sotong mamak

The verdict:

I like it, but I find the Mee Goreng Sotong at the Esplanade slightly tastier. But bear in mind that tastier food means it is less healthy.

Nothing beats eating mee goreng with a cup of teh ais! Aaahhh...


No comments: