Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2009

BKK Trip

Each time I stepped foot at Bangkok it sure did bring back many fond memories to me.
This is already my 3rd trip to Bangkok. The first time I went to Bangkok was back in 2004, right after my graduation. A party of 5 of us, we took a 24-hour train journey from Butterworth Penang to Bangkok, Thailand. Yes, the journey was that long! Mind you, at that time we still don't have the luxury of flying cheap with AirAsia. Air Asia was probably an ailing company then, in dire straits before Mr. Fernandez the Hero, rescued them with a mere "RM1" acquisation.

To be frank, my first trip to Bangkok was also my first backpacking trip, and boy that was my best travelling experience so far! Being so naive and carefree(haven't tasted the hardship of working life yet), every place we ventured was a great adventure. We explored Bangkok and Kanchanaburi by foot most of the time. On other times, we took public transports like tut-tut, the train, taxi and buses. To save cost, we even spent two nights at a brothel-like motel for our accomodation. What do you expect? It cost us only 120 bt (RM12) per night, and we're just students ok, so this what we could only afford.

The experiences we gained? Many. We mingled with fellow backpackers, stayed at a raft house on an elephant farm, tried on elephant rides,took our bath at a serene waterfall-Erawan Falls (as we're too disgusted to bathe in the river where the elephants bathe and relieved themselves too!) and took a journey down history at the River Kwai where the British armies, some of our forefathers, the Indian Gurkhas and local ppl fought for their lives here with the Japanese army in the early 1940s while building the Bridge over River Kwai.

These experiences are something that money can't buy. But to gain such and experiences, we need TIME. Yes, time is the luxury that I don't have.
Eversince I started working, the only available time I have is on weekends. Sigh.
Last year, with the limited TIME I have, I managed to make a trip to Bangkok with BS to visit my sis and bro-in-law who was posted there for 2 years. That was a short trip. We didn't do anything much, in fact I stayed home most of the time. The only thing I enjoyed most is to go shopping and more shopping!

Fast forward to this year. With the worsening economy, my company had asked us to take two days' off per month, which is equivalent to 10% paycut. *sniff* Looking at the bright side, it means, I will have more TIME too!! And with that, I could make another trip down to Bangkok!! Woo hoo! The best part is that my wonderful bro-in-law has offered to sponsor my trip to Bangkok! So this will be a FREE trip for me!!!

This time, it is different however. No backpacking or whatsoever. I will be visiting my sister,brother-in-law and most importantly my little nephew!! Weeeeeee! My parents will be there as well, so this will be a family trip!! Woo hoo!
The highlight of my trip this time is that my parents and I took a half day trip to Damneun Sadok market a.k.a the floating market which is about 2 hours drive from Bangkok. It was really interesting to see vendors selling everything from little trinkets, to clothings to food on the boat. Have you ever experienced traffic jam on a river? Well, this is something unforgettable! haha...

Here's some pictures from my trip.


Vendors on the boat


Traffic jam!

Me on the boat

Family

And not forgetting ................

.

.

.

.

.

The Cheeky lil' fella!! ........SAWADEEKAP :)

No comments: