Pages

Monday 13 July 2009

Old Town White Coffee--The origin


I still remembered my last trip to Ipoh. That was around May when I went for a short trip to Malacca and KL with BS. On our way home, we decided to stop by Ipoh to try out the famous Old Town "white coffee". You know, that super famous Old Town trademark with its kopitiam (restaurant with old charm) sprouting out at every nooks and corners in Malaysia these days.
However, we're looking for the original "Old Town" in Ipoh, where these white coffee craze first started. A catch was that we do not know the place (streetname) nor the name of the place(a coffeshop).

After calling and checking the location with Ipoh friends we tried to scour round and round Ipoh looking for that famous place. As we do not know where we're heading, we went round and round in circles. Frustration got to us eventually and after few more hours searching, we gave up. Somehow, Ipoh folks don't know the street name of "Old Town" kopitiam.. and even with my handphone GPS, we cannot find the place :(....sigh

This time around however, I make sure I do my homework beforehand. I was determined to find the place by hook or by crook!. As I will be heading to Ipoh again for a wedding this month, I wanted to try finding this coffeeshop again! Thankfully, a few bloggers mentioned about this place and blog about its delicious food and drinks served. This time, equipped with a better GPS (mobile GPS) from a kind friend, CW (thanks mate!!! :)), we're ready to roll!

Guess what?
This time, we could easily find the elusive "Old Town Kopitiam" which was located at Jalan Timah. I was surprised how close the place was to the old bus station at Ipoh (Medan Kidd). I used to frequent the place alot when I was heading home from uni during my studies at UTP! Funny, I have never been to the coffeshop despite having stayed at Tronoh (45 minutes from Ipoh) for 5 freaking years!

The name of the shop was called Nam Heong. And it was right opposite the so-called "only flat in Ipoh". Oh yeah, you hardly see any high-rise flats or apartments in this land abundant Ipoh.
Once we're there, we need to wait for a seat as the shop was really small, barely fits 10 tables.
And the place was packed as usual. Apart from coffee, they serve tea too (my favourite!) as well as some pastries (like egg tarts, taro balls and other dimsum varieties). There's other stalls selling Penang favourites like char keow teow and Hokkien Mee. Of course we'll give those a pass, but we did try the pastries, the coffee and tea and of course the famous Ipoh Prawn Noodle (It's something like keow teow soup).

The verdict:
Boy, their white coffee was really aromatic, thick and tasted just heavenly!
I love the tea too!! And best of all, their egg tarts!!!!!!! Wow..that's the best I've ever tasted so far and I really recommend it!

Here's some snapshots I took with my cameraphone...

The trusty "GPS" loaned from CW :)

The flats in front of the shop



The corner coffeeshop, Nam Heong

Wit and gf,PN enjoying their meal

KH looking happy, just finished his satisying meal


My prawn noodle


My tea!!


The sinfully aromatic ORIGINAL OLD TOWN white coffee

Delicious egg tart!!!!! *drooolll*


1 comment:

Pui Sum said...

wah... so you went to nam heong instead... hehe... yea the tarts are yummy :)